Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Example of a Personal Leadership SWOT

Strengths
  • Compulsive
  • Strong follow-through
  • Articulate
  • Writes well
  • Balanced work-life perspective
  • Multi-interested (e.g., work, recreational activities [e.g., curling, golf, etc.])
  • Ambitious

Weaknesses
  • Strong need to “get things done and off my list” with consequence of getting it done right away, thereby undermining the benefits of more careful deliberation over time
  • Compulsiveness sometimes causes me to begrudge being given tasks, i.e., stress of many tasks and need to do each carefully can lead me to think unkindly about the people and/or circumstance creating the task
  • Can be impatient, i.e., not tolerate those who do not understand (“suffer fools poorly”)
  • Time pressure causes stress and can lead to emotional “hijacking”
  • Do not handle multiple immediately competing demands well

Opportunities
  • To engage others in providing feedback about their experience of me
  • To receive coaching in service of improving my leadership skills
  • To learn from others in similar roles to mine
  • To enhance my ability to manage the need to complete task quickly in order to be able to deliberate more carefully
  • To enhance my equanimity about work-related tasks

Threats
  • Time pressure, which can derail my plan for self-improvement because it catapults me back to my “usual” habits
  • The multitude of everyday demands, which conspires against self-reflection
  • Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment